Sunday 29 October 2017

SourcedBox: Healthy and Natural Snacks in your mailbox

sourcedbox-october


I was beyond excited when this green/blueish package came in the mail and I found out it was SourcedBox. And what is SourcedBox? It is a snacking service that delivers healthy, natural and vegan snacks through the post every month. They usually aim to have ten to twelve snacks in each box and they don't contain refined sugars, artificial flavourings or preservatives, additives or chemicals. Now you can see why I was excited to try them all!

They usually send boxes out in the first week of the month and my October SourcedBox was shipped from Brighton on the 4th and took 10 bussiness days to get to my mailbox so it was right on their estimate delivery period (7-10 working days for Europe deliveries). The box comes with a little leaflet describing the snacks, two recipes, a discount code for Mindful Chef (unfortunately it only works in the UK) and some information about the companies that made the snacks in the box. It contained 11 snacks including two drink and a tea:

> Cherry Scrummies by Clearly Scrumptious - Inspired by childhood sweets, these cherry flavoured juice cranberries and succulent raisins are a great alternative to sweets! If you're a fan of raisins this is perfect for you because they're not too sweet but sweet enough as well so you won't end up eating any more sugar. A package comes with 20g so that's 58 kcal, 0,2g of fat, 14g of carbohydrates, 12,5g of sugar, 0,7g of fibre and 0,37g of protein.
> Oat & Cacao Cookie by The Beginnings - The delicate oat flavour of these cookies is embellished with crunchy cocoa beans and rich coconut flakes. Maple syrup and aromatic cocoa butter adds creamy sweetness. These had all the potential to be my favourite ones but they only had one problem: the light coconut flavour. Since I'm not the biggest coconut fan, I could see myself ABSOLUTELY LOVING these if it were not the coconut. This package comes with three cookies (45g) so in total it has 231 kcal, 14g of fat, 21g of carbohydrates, 8g of sugar, 3g of protein, 3g of fiber and 0,1g of salt.
> Korean BBQ Chips by Wainut - The authentic smoky and fully BBQ flavour in each bite will leave you wondering where they hid the grill. An amazing sweet and savoury snack for any occasion. One of my favourites! Perfect, perfect, perfect flavour! The only fault I would point is that they're slightly hard but THE FLAVOUR THOUGH. Unfortunately I got sent a package with the wrong labeling (which is why I don't have the nutritional information) but I contacted the SourcedBox support and they kindly contacted Wainut. They're going to send me a package with a few of their snacks to try and I honestly can't wait for those amazing snacks again which my supermarkets unfortunately don't sell on their own (here's a suggestion, though, please come and sell here in Portugal!)!
> Cucumber Water by Dash - Refreshing, sparkling british spring water infused with whole, wonky, misshapen cucumbers for a dash of flavour that's pure from source to sip with no sugar, fake flavours and calories. Since I'm not a fan of carbonated drinks (I'll make an exception for Sprite and 7Up but don't even let me start on Coca-Cola) I feel like I could have enjoyed this one a lot more. It's definitely refreshing, though and if you enjoy soda and cucumber this one might be perfect for you! Personally, I feel like their lemon water would suit me better.
> Carrot & Spice Boost Banana Bar by Snact - Food waste featuring unawnted ugly fruit brings this delicious banana, oat and pumpkin seed bar with a superfood boost of anti-inflamatory cinnamon and anti-oxidant carrots and walnuts. I enjoyed this one as it had a lot of flavour as I felt like the pumpkin and cinnamon were an amazing mix, and I especially enjoyed the whole #deliciousprotest "more taste less waste" idea where every snack saves one apple or banana from going to waste! I'm also curious about their Apple & Cinnamon Kick Banana Bar and their fruit jerky packs. This one is a 35g bar so it comes with 128 kcal, 4,4g of fat, 17,6g of carbohydrates, 12,8g of sugar, 2,7g of fibre and 3,3g of protein. 
> Hazelnut Praline Chocolate Bar by Rythm 108 - A gloriously swiss dark chocolate bar with praline oat and quinoa filling that melts in your mouth and is guaranteed to bring a smile to any chocolate lovers face. And it was released just in October! I absolutely loved this one!! The only problem with it is that it's too small as it's only 33g. I swear I could eat another one (more like 100 more, to be honest) because the taste is so amazing you have trouble believing it's actually healthy, with 47% less sugar than comparable products in the same category. My only question now is where can I buy 100 more of these? A 33g bar has 19 kcal, 14g of fat, 12g of carbohydrates, 8g of sugar, 4g of fibre and 2g of protein.
> Banana Bread Chai Tea by Bluebird Tea Co. - Imagine the blissful smell of freshly baked banana bread cooling straight from the oven and there you go, an amazing blend of banana, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and cardamom. A warming hug in a mug that sort of reminded me of Christmas and cozy winter evenings under a blanket and a book in your hands! Even with a cold I was able to smell that cozy smell and, not going to lie, it not only made me feel all warm but also managed to unblock my nose for a while!
> Waku Waku Cashews by Kimoni - Crunchy cashew nuts, coated with an intriguing blend of Norwegian arctic seaweed, Iranian Sumac and a signature soy sauce glaze, creating a rich, satisfying savoury flavour. Hands down another of my favourites from this box! This one has exactly the right flavour for a nice salty/savoury snack, I would absolutely recommend this one! I went to their website and they don't ship to Portugal (but according to the company they're working on it - I'll keep waiting!) and I'm disappointed the Portuguese supermarkets don't sell this one. This unfortunately only comes with 20g so it has around 123 kcal, 10g of fat, 5g of carbohydrates, 0,92g of sugar, 0,82g of fibre, 4g of protein and 0,06g of salt.
> Dehydrated Mango by I Love Snacks - Hand-picked and carefully selected from a sustainable sourced orchards in Thailand, this gently dehydrated mango contains no added sugar, is gmo free and is deliciously tasty! I enjoyed this one, it had just the right amount of sweetness! I've seen their other products and would absolutely love to try the dark belgian chocolate one! This one, though, comes in 25g with 85 kcal, 20g of carbohydrates, 15g of sugar, 1,75g of fibre, 0,7g of protein and 0,02g of salt.
> Fruit Jelly by Naturelly - They have Apple & Blackcurrant, Summer Fruits and Tropical Fruits flavours and I got the Summer Fruits one. It is brilliant for lunchboxes, after-school snacks  or tasty treats on days out and I feel like it's perfect for kids and teens to bring to school beause it's very sweet even though it has no added sugar or sweeteners. Honestly, it was too sweet for me but I usually stay away from juices anyway so it'd be perfect for people who like sweet juices. This fruity jelly snack has been made with scrumptious fruit juice, in my case apple, strawberry, raspberry and blackcurrant, blended with water and a special gelatine free jelly called gelan gum which is a natural dietary fibre found in lily plants. It comes in 100g with 36 kcal, 8,1g of carbohydrates, 7,2g of sugar, 0,5g of fibre, 0,6g of protein and 80mg of vitamin C. 
> Banananut Bites by Moral Fibre - Deliciously chewy bites of Fairtrade bananas and organic dates with rich pecans and coconut. An energising quick bite when time is short and craving strikes. When you look at them, they resemble Ferrero Rocher so I'm not going to lie, I was a bit disappointed they didn't have a chocolaty flavour. However, after getting rid of the Ferrero Rocher thoughts I was able to appreciate them. Again, not the biggest fan of coconut so despite them being really good I thought they were a bit too sweet after a few of them (it's the coconut, I know). I've checked their website and I'm really interested in their Choco Banananut Bites, Raspberry Cocolossal Balls and Banana Berry Bites. This package comes with 70g, so around 10 moral bites (I confess I didn't count, I just ate). Each 7g moral bite contains roughly 27 kcal, 1,8g of fat, 2g of sugar, 0,3g of protein, 0,5g of fibre and 0g of salt.

So overall I would totally recommend trying SourcedBox at least once. It's an amazing and fun way to discover new healthy and vegan snacks! Of course you will not LOVE everything they put in the box but I'm sure there will be at least a few items you'll wish they'd sent more of. At least I know I would love to get a whole box of cashews, chocolate bars and korean chips! I also like that they give smaller companies a chance to get some visibility by choosing companies that aren't huge already. The only suggestion I have is the discounts part to be more inclusive for non-UK residents. This October box discount to Mindful Chef could only be used for people living in the UK, as I've previously mentioned, and while I assume a huge percentage of the SourcedBox subscribers are indeed UK residents, some of us aren't so I feel like it could be more global instead.

SourcedBox has monthly subscriptions which cost 18.95£ and you can keep, pause or cancel your subscription any time as well as annual subcriptions for 189.95£ where you’ll essencially get 12 months of SourcedBox for the price of 10. But you can get 15% off by subscribing through this link (:

sourcedbox-snacks-october

You can also find me @ | | | | |


Post a Comment

Veriation © . Design by FCD.